Table of Contents
Step 1: Before You Begin
Never apply updates to the reader or to attached sensors with a dead battery. Charge the battery to at least 20% before attempting to apply an update.
Do not interrupt the update process. Once you have begun, allow the process to continue to completion. Be familiar with basic computer usage. If you are not familiar with how to copy files to a USB flash drive, or how to navigate folders/directories, the best option might be to get a friend or colleague to help you.
Here is a brief online tutorial, thanks to Instructor Gadget.
You will need:
- RD1200 (SDI-12 Sensor Reader)
- Dual-port Flash Drive (USB Type A + Micro USB)
- Computer with at least 1 available USB port
- New update file (filename is something like ACEFW****.WAF)
For Sensor updates:
- The sensor that requires an update
- Suitable cable harness to connect that sensor to the RD1200
Step 2: Updating the Reader
To update your reader:
- Using your computer, copy the update file to your dual-port USB flash drive, into the folder: \Acclima\RD1200\Updates
- Eject the USB flash drive from your computer and plug the micro-USB side into the Reader with the power on (or power on the reader after plugging in).
- Wait for the update to complete. This may take up to 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the USB flash drive when the process is complete.
Step 3: Updating Sensors
Please Note: Not all Acclima sensors support updating. In addition, TDR and TDT sensors will often require factory recalibration after the update. For these reasons, Acclima does not regularly release sensor updates. If it is known that your sensor needs an update, Acclima will contact you. If you feel that your TDT or TDR sensor needs an update, please contact Acclima before making the attempt.
- Verify Reader version. Older readers do not support updating sensors. The Reader version is reported during power-up. Cycle the power and verify that the version is 1.4.0 or higher. If the reader version is not compatible, contact Acclima for a reader update and apply that first.
- Place new sensor update file on the dual-port USB drive.
Using your computer, copy the sensor update file into the following folder on the USB flash drive: \Acclima\RD1200\Updates
- Eject the USB flash drive from your computer.
- Connect sensor Connect the SDI-12 sensor to your reader. Only one sensor may be connected at a time. It is a good idea to check that the sensor is working before proceeding. You can do this by reading the sensor (press “Read Sensor”) or by detecting it. You can detect the sensor by pressing “Sensor” and then press “Detect” (starting from the Home screen). If the sensor is not working, resolve your connection problems before proceeding to the next step.
- Insert Flash drive. Insert the micro-USB side of your flash drive into the reader. This will initiate a synchronization session. Wait for the session to complete, but do not unplug the flash drive when prompted. Instead, simply wait for the home screen to appear.
- Update the sensor. Press the “Sensor” softkey from the home screen. If the USB flash drive is still attached, the far right softkey will read “Update Sensor”. Press this button and wait for the update to complete. This process may take several minutes.
- Completion. If you have several sensors to update, connect the next sensor to the reader and press the “Update Sensor” button again. Once your sensors are updated, you may unplug the USB flash drive.